Dog count numbers 64,704 strays in Bucharest

So there are, officially, 64,704 stray dogs in Bucharest. We didn’t count them all personally, but the Autoritatea pentru Supravegherea si Protectia Animalelor (ASPA) did. The margin of error is -/+10 per cent.

More worrying than the actual number of dogs however is the fact that so little is being done to get them off the streets. Last year, just 3,500 dogs were rounded up, of which – get this – more than half were returned straight back to where they were picked up. Around 1,400 were adopted (and then immediately put back on the streets, no doubt), and just were 46 put down: yep, 46, out of 64,000. An additional 6,512 strays were sterilised.

Interestingly, the two largest animal rights charities operating in Bucharest, Vier Pfoten and Cutu-Cutu, between them adopted a grand total of zero dogs in 2012.

All of which confirms what we have long said: there is a large minority of people in Bucharest who actually want the city’s streets to be blighted by these dogs. We long ago gave up any notion that something will ever be done about them, especially as many of those who perpetuate their presence appear to be young people. The idea that it’s only mad old women who feed the dogs is wrong.

More (much more) on the stray dog issue in Life passim.

1. […] leggere qualcosa sull’argomento (ad esempio, questo brevissimo articoletto), si viene a sapere che e’ impossibile per gli accalappiacani catturare un cane e […]

2. anca says:

Recently the romanian senat approved a change o legislation according that the presence of stray dogs on street will be legal and no sanctions for local authorities if they do not take measures for catch dangerous stray dogs,so no commments…

3. On my first day in Romania and Bucharest on 30 April 2000, I distinctly remember being approached by a pack of 20+ dogs. One was dragging its hindquarters along the ground I guess to scratch its fleas. It was quite a welcome to the city I now call home!

4. C.B. says:

I would gladly answer your question but I do not remember what I previously wrote. It is much easier for me (for others I assume as well) to reply when you don’t eclectically delete comments.

On the other hand, if you insist on always being right, I suggest you talk to a mirror.

5. Ethan says:

I know the solution. If a dog picked up as a stray is to be returned to a bloc then an individual named resident of the bloc should assume personal legal responsibility for the animal.

If anyone is harassed or bitten, the individual is held responsible.

If the dog continues to reside in the street, the individual is charged with animal abuse.

6. Giuseppe says:

It’s funny how one man’s best friend can be another man’s favourite dish. I imagine the term “dog lover” takes a whole new meaning in South Korea :D

It’s one of the reasons I love the concept of cultural bias.

7. Ethan says:

Maintaining a population of street dogs that are exposed to dangers, disease, infrequent feeding and irregular/ nonexistent vet care is animal abuse.

I can’t think of anything more terrible and hypocritical for “animal lovers” to do than to allow a litter of puppies to be born in that situation.

Every dog deserves an actual home, daily care, safety, and love.

• laur says:

Mate… You should concentrate on humans first with that last sentence.
      Why don t you sail to Africa and tackle things there.

• Julie says:

That’s the most annoying response ever. You really didn’t have something more intelligent to say? Because the dogs are right here under our eyes and there are things we can do for them without giving up our life and going to a dangerous country, that’s why.
        Also, maybe I care for dogs more than I care or humans, I don’t see why you should tell me what I ”should” do.

• Giuseppe says:

Did a dingo eat your baby? :))

8. Anon says:

can you direct link to sources of those links…just wanna see for myself…I can’t find shit on the govt website.

9. Crae says:

Oh great, another profane and macho hater of the west joins the discussion.

10. Cristi says:

“All of which confirms what we have long said: there is a large minority of people in Bucharest who actually want the city’s streets to be blighted by these dogs.”

This.

One of the dogs living around our building was taken away and a neighbor was collecting signatures from the residents to bring back the dog (she said 10 signatures were required).
    We refused, but apparently others did not as the dog has since reappeared.

There are 20 apartments in the building, so either what you call “large minority” is 50% or the signatures are not tied to the building (i.e. you just collect 10 random signatures).

I saw a woman feeding dogs yesterday (on Aleea Alexandru up by the Foreign Ministry). She had it all prepared in little boxes, and as she appeared so did about 15 dogs. I shouted a few things and asked, looking around: ‘In ce casa stai?’ She replied: ‘Stau in Militari.’

• Mister Rearguard says:

Sometimes I see this woman in parcul carol feeding them at around 7am when I’m out running there. If it’s biscuits, I sweep them with my hands and throw them in a bin or if it’s that gooey meat stuff, I simply just piss on it.

• C.B. says:

Hey asshole, it is illegal to urinate in Romanian public parks – some kind of educated hero you are! Perhaps the other reject from the West can compute for us how much the likes of you are polluting my Bucharest.

Craig, your dog fixation is not healthy for you or your blog. There are hundredths of interesting subjects you could submit for discussion; all you need to do is ask for help, you obviously need it.

• Parmalat says:

… have you ever noticed they don’t eat bread?

• laur says:

both of yous really busy i can see.

• Giuseppe says:

Oh, yes… that minority, if it is even a minority (I’m not sure it is these days), seems quite happy to have dogs roaming the streets of the capital.

I remember on Facebook, one of my acquaintances posted a picture of a dog sleeping on a seat in the back of a bus. A few people commenting seemed to think a stray dog in public transport was somehow cute; the little fella was just looking for a place to stay warm. I was thinking “are you people insane? That’s not good, that’s not even funny! It’s terrible that something like this still happens”. I quickly realized that it wasn’t them that was insane, it was me that was the odd one out, ’cause as soon as I opened my virtual mouth a bunch of people were already coming after me like an angry mob from an old Frankenstein film. I’m talking about people in their 20s.

11. laur says:

It all comes down to this: the older generation after being made to chase away gypsies and jews from their own land not long ago simply know that they will look like proper donkeys if they started to chase dogs away.They ve had it up their nose with shit comin from the west. The young ones love life and are too inocent to start killing them. Simples. Bucharest is the safest capital in Europe. Dogs and potholes will never kill you, actually they might man you up a bit. You learn how to walk properly,not just looking at billboards like a western avid consumer of shit. no?

• Mister Rearguard says:

Yeah but Laur, try to imagine running in a park in Bucharest. NB. Running is that stuff people (all over the world) do for leisure or sport.

• Giuseppe says:

Try riding a bicycle without some random deciding to give chase. Oh, wait… I think riding a bike isn’t actually legal in this town anymore :))

• laur says:

Picturing both of yous being chased by a pack while riding in Herastrau.
        Now that shit is funny))) Tip of the day: When you see the dog(s) comin at you stand down on your knees pretending to pick up( a rock) and then watch as they flee.

• Crae says:

3000 kids were bitten in Bucharest over the last year. Guess they weren’t swift enough with them rocks ;)

I have a friend who grew up in Teheran, another city with dog issues. At his expensive expats-only school (this was in the Shah’s days) they had classes on the best ways to defend yourself when attacked by a dog.

• Mister Rearguard says:

Are you talking about the men of Tehran or the four legged variety?

• Mister Rearguard says:

@Laur. I always carry pepper spray, does the trick. But really I shouldn’t need to be making a monthly visit to the gunshop to stock up on pepper spray. We should all be free to run, walk and cycle without being chased by stray dogs or the ever increasing privately owned dogs.

• Parmalat says:

It’s true, their ancestors took so many rocks in their heads that they developed a reflex to run when people pretend taking a rock from the ground =))

• Parmalat says:

“Mars futu-ti biserica ma-tii…” that’s how my grandfather used to say to them =)))))))))))))